ESOL Sc/L1.3b Give factual accounts
Sc/L1.3: express clearly statements of fact, explanations, instructions, accounts and descriptions
Sc/L1.3b: give factual accounts
- Carry out a range of functions, using appropriate grammatical forms Examples: (a) Give a definition using defining relative clause, passive with to or for: Barometers are instruments that measure pressure. They are used to measure... They are used for measuring... (b) Classify using quantifiers: Mangoes are types of fruit. There are many varieties in India. (c) Describe a process using passive: Bread is made from flour. First, the flour is mixed with water and yeast, and then... (d) Generalise, using articles, including zero article, and give examples: Sport is not generally dangerous, but some sports are dangerous, for example motor racing
- Sequence the above actions coherently in a verbal report, using discourse markers as appropriate.
- Use a range of fixed and semi-fixed expressions for fronting questions Example: What I want to know is… The most important thing is…
- Use collocation accurately, e.g. special educational needs…
- Form questions to check that the listener has understood, and ask for confirmation Example: Is that clear? Are you sure you understand? You do understand, don't you?
(See also Lr/L1.5a.)