ESOL Sd/E3.1a Take part in social interaction
Sd/E3.1 Make contributions to discussions that are relevant to the subject
Sd/E3.1a Take part in social interaction
- Vary ways of greeting, introducing, leave-taking, offering, inviting, etc. according to the relationship between speakers. Example: I'd like to introduce you to... Do you know each other? Anna, meet Rachid; Rachid, Anna. Well, take care. Hope to see you soon. It was very nice to meet you.
- Offer help. Example: Let me help you. I'll do that. Would you like some help?
- Vary intonation to indicate different attitudes, e.g. sympathy, interest
- Know and use some expressions commonly used in social interaction Example: Hope you enjoy it. Say hello to Sara for me...
- Know which lexis is considered informal, e.g. kids, ten grand and decide whether to use it or not. Example: If your kids want to go to university these days, they're going to have to borrow at least 20 grand before they've finished.
- Notice features common in informal speech, such as ellipsis or vague language, and decide whether to use it Ellipsis: See you… be home later. Me too… Vague language: Don't forget the thingy…