ESOL Sd/E2.1a Take part in social interaction
Sd/E2.1 Follow the main points and make appropriate contributions to the discussion
SD/E2.1a Take part in social interaction
- Know and use different ways of opening and closing a social conversation by: (a) greeting (b) responding to greeting (c) leave taking. Example: Hi. Nice to see you. - Did you have a good weekend? - Yes it was good. We went swimming, and you?
Take leave, e.g.: Have a good weekend.
- Be able to insist politely, if necessary, when ready to take leave. Example: I'm sorry, but I really must go. See you again soon.
- Offer, giving alternatives, and invite, giving more information, and respond to offers and invitations. E.g. Offer and invite, e.g.: Would you like tea or coffee? Tea or coffee?
- Use intonation appropriate to friendly social interaction
- Know how gestures can vary across cultures, e.g. indicating that something should be kept secret
- Know in which situations a conversation is likely to be protracted and when it is likely to be brief, and that this can vary across cultures
See also Lr/E2.6b